Friday, 16 January 2015

Evaluation Q1 Draft

Evaluation Questions

1.     In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


I am beginning by simply defining a convention. A convention is defined as “a way in which something is usually done” this means that a particular item or object can be created to fit into a particular genre, simply by following the already known features most common and related to that particular genre. This could vary between a specific dress code, sound or look which then goes on to define the genre and there audience. My particular genre ‘Dance’ has a number of conventions for example the use of parties, Djs, clubs, girls and flashing lights with this being known I then personally choose to both follow and challenge these conventions.

I believe that my media product does both develop and challenge conventions of a real media product. When I was choosing the narrative for my music video I looked at a varied amount of existing videos from the genre followed by looking at multiple videos from my selected artist, this way I could compare him to others in the same genre and get the best idea of what to use and what were popular conventions. I then went on to looking at male artists and how they are filmed and shot in the music industry this time using the featuring artist and comparing him to other males artists in the industry.

When collecting and analysing all the research and data I finally got the idea of what I intended to develop or challenge in my creative project.
I found that a key convention was that artists tend to be shot using a mix of extreme, normal and medium close ups often focusing on the key features of there face when singing or performing during the song. This is a convention I chose to develop in my own work, as I believed it worked well with what I wanted to do and also this is a convention that did not need to be challenged.

The idea of using a party or the club scene in my video stood out to me at first, as this was the most common theme I was seeing when researching but when it eventually came to creating my video I much preferred the idea of challenging that and going for a narrative following a relationship situation where the stereotypical gender roles e.g. the male always being the cheat were reversed and used the female character as the cheater and the male as the more vulnerable character. I thought that this would attracted both genders in the audience as it will show that men aren’t all bad and that women aren’t always being played and hurt and we are quite capable ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment