2. How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?
Both the ancillary texts and main product that I have created are effective because I decided that in order for them to combine they would have to be linked in different ways. When it came to making my digipak and advert ancillary tasks I thought it was important to use the same or similar themes. Also applying Andrew Goodwin’s ‘star theory’ and having the main artist take focus when creating the products; this helps attract the audience as they will recognise a similar face and be attracted to buy or listen to the product.
When creating similar themes I stuck to the conventions of the selected genre ‘Dance’ keeping these similar in both the ancillary texts, first of all looking for a suitable font to use as the main focus that would successfully represent the music genre, I looked at a few before going online to find something to stand out. After looking at a few websites I finally came across the font ‘dotline’ I then downloaded this font and used as the main font for the word ‘BLAME’ this was used on both my advert and digipak making it effective way of connecting the two texts together. With it being visible the audience will be able to easily associate the two together.
Another effective way I used is by using images that relate to the video by having the photos in the same location and wearing the same clothing it will again associate and link the video to the ancillary texts.
I think it was important to also follow a similar colour theme, I associate bright lights and colour with the dance genre by deciding not to over do it and stick with a classy and sophisticate black and white theme at first because I believe that it associated better with the artist Calvin Harris as he know a well known and respected person in the industry but I then decide that some colour used in the right way would be affective in inking it to the dance genre. The multi colour and overlays used in my digipak link to the ones used in my video I tried to get similar colours to link them further.
When creating the ancillary tasks it was important to see what the original artist did and how they carried out linking their three products together. This is where I found the idea of using images set in the video in the ancillary tasks too, in the original the artist John Newman is used for the cd cover and adverts sat in the same chair and room that he is in the music video successfully linking them together. It allows the audience to instantly connect them together familiarizing themselves with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment